Metabolism refers to the various chemical processes which help the organs of the body to function optimally. These include respiration, digestion and repairing damaged cells. Our age, gender, body size and lifestyle affect our rate of metabolism. As we age, our metabolism slows down, since we gain fats and lose muscle. A fast metabolism is always beneficial, since it helps to lose weight and hence decreases the risk of various diseases.
Here are a few tips to speed up your metabolism:
- 1. Consume whole milk – Increase your intake of whole milk, since it contains a lot of calcium. Calcium helps the body to burn fat more easily and it increases your metabolic rate.
- 2. Fill your tummy – Many people believe that if they eat less, they won’t put on weight and they will become slim. This is a very unhealthy practice. One must eat enough food to fill the tummy. If you don’t eat the recommended number of calories per day, you might lose your muscle fat and your metabolism will slow down. It can also make your body vulnerable and weak.
- 3. Cook food in extra virgin olive oil – This healthy oil contains monounsaturated fatty acids and it helps to burn calories and increases the amount of serotonin in the blood. Serotonin helps to give you a feeling of being full.
- 4. Sip green tea – One of the best ways to boost your metabolism is to drink green tea in place of tea with milk or coffee. Packed with antioxidants, green tea helps the liver to function properly and convert more fat into energy.
- 5. Relish egg yolk – Eating an egg yolk or two a day is really helpful in speeding up the metabolism since egg yolk contains various essential fatty acids and fat soluble vitamins which help to speed up the metabolic process.
- 6. Eat whole grains – Whole grains take a long time to break down and get digested as compared to refined and processed foods. If you increase your consumption of whole grains, your metabolic rate increases automatically. Avoid pizzas, pasta and burger and go for oatmeal, brown rice and whole wheat flour.
- 7. Say goodbye to carbonated drinks – Carbonated drinks are packed with artificial sweeteners which not only increase our appetite, but also make us gain a lot of extra weight. This slows down the metabolism and also affects the digestive system adversely.
- 8. Include garlic in your diet – Known for its anti-inflammatory properties, garlic is also known to speed up your metabolism. Not only does it help to lower the cholesterol, it also helps to control the metabolism of sugar in the blood.
- 9. Eat lots of nuts – Nuts such as walnuts and almonds are really helpful in speeding up your metabolism and decreasing your weight since they also contain monounsaturated fatty acids which keep your insulin levels under check and also make you feel fuller for long. This in turn helps to avoid unnecessary snacking.
Improve your metabolism using our quick tips and make your body function more efficiently and lose weight faster!